Welcome to my little corner of the blogosphere to share the ups and downs of starting a craft business, with plenty of tips, mishaps and the odd glass of wine!

Thursday 19 September 2013

How to Make a Felt DIY Pirate Sword Tutorial

Arrrrrrr, me hearties! It be International Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Yesterday I shared a Felt Pirate Eye Patch Tutorial which was admirably modeled by my own little Pirate last night:

pirate eye patch tutorial

And was then borne off to school by my bigger Pirate this morning:


So today I'm going to share with you my tutorial for making a Felt Pirate Sword. This is quite timely as my smallest Pirate was bought one (a very flimsy one!) last weekend and promptly broke it, so he needed a replacement!



You will need:

- Cardboard - A4 size (either two pieces of thinner cardboard stuck together or a piece of thick cardboard that won't flop about when waved about)
- Grey Felt (9" x 8")
- Black Felt (11" x 6")
- A Biro
- Strong Scissors (for cutting the cardboard)
- Grey & Black embroidery thread
- A piece of ribbon and matching embroidery thread
- Glue
- Template (which can be found at the end of the tutorial)

First cut out the template and draw round it onto the cardboard & cut out. (if you are using thin cardboard, cut two pieces and stick them together)


Then draw around the cardboard onto the grey felt with your biro and cut out leaving a 1/4" extra around the edge

Flip the cardboard sword over and repeat so you have two mirror images on the grey felt for the blade part of the sword


Then repeat on the black felt for the handles. If you have tailors chalk you can use that to draw round to see the lines more easily, but I found I could just about see the biro lines if I held the felt up to the window:



Then using a bit of glue to keep the grey felt in place, with the grey embroidery thread (2 strands) blanket stitch neatly all the way round the grey felt to make the blade





Next using glue to keep the black pieces in place, with the black embroidery thread (2 strands) blanket stitch all the way round the black felt to make the handle.




Lastly sew or tie a piece of ribbon around the join between the black & grey felt



And now you're ready for a swashbuckling adventure!






pirate sword, felt sword, diy sword, make your own sword, how to make a sword, felt toy


Please feel free to make this felt sword as many times as you like for personal use, but please do not sell either the finished items, or the tutorial and if you blog or want to share any of the pictures from the tutorial, please link back to this post.

I'd love to see any Piratey pictures that you take if you've created either the eye patch or the sword using my tutorials, so please feel free to send them to simmi@gracesfavours.co.uk

Enjoy!


6 comments:

  1. I've been searching for a DIY pirate sword tutorial and this is the most unique and creative one I've found. I love it! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww yay :-) I'm so pleased! I hope you enjoy making yours as much as I did! Simmi xx

      Delete
  2. Love it! I look forward to making one for my daughter and will gladly post you a picture when I am finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tutorial! I'll have to make one for my nephew

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used your tutorial to make a sword for my daughter - the perfect accessory for her pirate costume. it is onmy blog and I linked to your tutorial. thanks!!!! all my girls think it is soooo cool! https://sovanisa.com/?p=995

    ReplyDelete
  5. IM going to attempt to make one... it looks easy enough... I think. Im going to be a girl pirate, but I don't have a sword.... :D THANKS!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate all comments made on the blog (it reminds me that I'm not talking to myself!) so just wanted to say thanks for adding your thoughts. Simmi x

Sharing Buttons